Sunday 22 May 2016

Easy Peasy Vegan Trifle

As my challenges have changed since I started this blog, I am going to take it in a different direction. I am going to attempt to veganize things the easy way, with links to where you can buy all the things I use to make quick and easy family meals and desserts that are meat, egg and dairy (and occasionally gluten)free. I hope you like it!

So, as I explained last time, my daughter is allergic to eggs and dairy (and now nuts!) so our diets have changed a bit since she's been on solids. We all eat vegan at home as we don't have eggs or dairy in the house, and it has been relatively easy to adapt. There are lots of vegan alternatives for mince, chicken pieces, burgers, sausages and nuggets etc for easy meals, but where things become more of a struggle is when you're making a recipe that traditionally uses eggs or milk as a main ingredient. When she was first diagnosed the paediatrician said she'd never be able to eat cakes or biscuits so I said "We'll see about that!". I already had this fantastic book so birthdays cakes weren't a problem. I bought the other books in the series, about cookies and pies and we haven't looked back. However, as brilliant as those books are, they are American, and while they do a great job of veganizing American treats, sometimes you yearn for something ....quintessentially British. And that's why I made this. It's hard enough to cook when you have dietary restrictions so I've made this as easy as possible.....Enjoy!

Vegan Raspberry Trifle.

Ingredients

8 sponge fingers (make a Vanilla Crazy Cake)
Handful of frozen (or fresh) raspberries.
1 packet of raspberry flavour vegetarian jelly
1 carton of soya custard
1 carton of soya whipping cream (chilled)
vegan sprinkles*

Method

  • Place sponge fingers and raspberries in a large glass bowl / trifle bowl. 
  • Make up jelly as per instructions on the packet. Chill in fridge until set. 
  • Pour carton of soya custard over set jelly. Chill in fridge for 1-2 hours.
  • Empty soy whip in to a second glass bowl. Whisk until light and fluffy.
  • Gently spread soy whip over custard.
  • Add sprinkles. 

And you're done! A non-traditional, traditional English trifle! Grab a spoon and get stuck in! This is how we always had it when I was a kid but some of you will remember a rather more boozy sherry version. This could easily be adapted to your own tastes but as I wanted to make a treat for my 3 year old, I thought it best to leave out the alcohol! 

*(I confess, my sprinkles weren't vegan as I was using up what we had in the cupboard. They are vegetarian but do contain shellac and beeswax. They only vegan ones I've found are crazily expensive, so I am going to use up my veggie ones before I shell out to replace them).

UPDATE! I have found some vegan sprinkles! Enjoy your guilt-free trifle! :)

Thanks for visiting my blog! If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy this!


No comments:

Post a Comment